Businesses of all sizes can use Bitly for their QR Code needs. Raleigh Harbour, President of Bitly, is optimistic about the upward trend of Bitly QR Codes. He says, “We’re still early in 2023 and already we’re seeing 34% growth in the use of Bitly QR Codes among our customers.”
We’ll take you through the steps to creating your very own Bitly QR Code, as well as how to customize and track your QR Codes within the Bitly Connections Platform—our central location for Link Management, QR Codes, and Bitly Link-in-bio.
In this article:
– How to create a QR Code in Bitly
– How to customize your Bitly QR Code
– How to track Bitly QR Codes
– Why choose Bitly for your QR Code marketing
– Bitly QR Code FAQs
What is a Bitly QR Code?
A Bitly QR Code contains a short link generated when created. When scanned with a mobile device, it opens the link in a web browser. Each time a user engages with the square pattern, Bitly captures the action and is reflected in your scan metrics. Simply put, a Bitly QR Code is a scannable version of your link.
The subscription plan you choose determines the features you have available to you when making your square with Bitly.
Depending on your plan, you can:
- create a Bitly-branded or a generic square patterned Code.
- access click and scan data.
- customize the color to match your company colors or augment your printed materials.
- upload your logo or select a social media icon to place in the center of the QR Code.
- download it in a JPEG, SVG, or PNG format, which is helpful if you want to scale it up or down in size.
Boost your QR Code game with Bitly!
Get started with custom QR Codes and revolutionize your business!
How to create a QR Code in Bitly
- In Bitly, go to Create new and select QR Code to generate your Code.
- Enter your destination URL and relevant content.
- Select Customize to design your QR Code. Depending on your plan, you may have the option to change the color of the Code. Click the color picker to select a color or enter a hex, RGB, or HSL color code.
- Depending on your plan, you may have the option to add a custom-made Bitly logo, social media icons, or keep it as it is to get a generic version.
- Select Create QR Code.
- Test your Code with your phone or tablet camera.
- After creating a QR Code, download it by selecting Copy or the Download button.
- Paste or upload the image where you’d like the Code to be displayed (e.g. a document).
Newcomers to the Bitly platform, as well as advanced users, may benefit from a more detailed tutorial. View our complete guide below to learn more:
- Log in to your Bitly account and select Create new. You’ll see two options: Link and QR Code. Select QR Code. Alternatively, simply hit the letter Q on your keyboard from anywhere in the Bitly app to begin QR Code creation.
- Enter the content related to your link and QR Code in the fields provided. As soon as you type in your URL, you’ll be able to preview your Bitly QR Code.
- If included in your plan, select Customize at the top and adjust the color and logo features as desired. Select the color picker or enter a hex color code for a custom color of your choice. Then upload a logo or use one of the available social media icons.
- Select Create QR Code in the right-hand corner. And just like that, you’ve generated your QR Code with Bitly.
- Once generated, you’ll see a pop-up that your Code is ready. Scan to test your square. Depending on your plan, you can copy the image, download it in PNG or SVG format, or copy the link.
- Add your square onto the materials you’d like it to be displayed on and get ready for scans.
- Track scan statistics by selecting QR Codes on the Dashboard and then View details to access the metrics data.
Fun fact about Bitly QR Codes: They are Dynamic, meaning you have the flexibility to change the link the Code points to. Simply edit the link destination with the Bitly redirect feature. Your QR Codes then point to all new content so you never have to worry that expensive offline assets become outdated. You can learn more about Dynamic QR Codes by reading our guide.
How to customize your Bitly QR Code
With Bitly QR Codes, you can personalize your square to match your brand. Keep in mind that the availability of customization features depends on your plan.
Here’s how to customize your Bitly QR Code:
- Log in to your Bitly account.
- On the sidebar, select QR Codes.
- Select the three horizontal dots next to View details and then select Customize.
- Add your brand color by using the color picker or input the hex color code.
- You can also add an image to the center of your square. Upload a PNG image or logo that represents your brand, or use one of the available social media icons. Then select the X in the right-hand corner to save your changes.
- You’re all set to use your visually modified Code. Select Download if you are ready to use the file on your materials.
How to track Bitly QR Codes
Having an overview of real-time scan metrics helps you understand your audience. Each scan gives you insight into the impact the 2D barcode has had on your target audience. You have the option to export the scan metrics so you can stay organized while tracking your scans. The availability of this functionality is dependent on your plan.
Here are the steps to tracking your Bitly QR Code:
- After you’ve created your Code, you’ll be able to access it from the left-hand sidebar. Select QR Codes.
- In this menu you can access all of the QR Codes you’ve created already. Select View details to view the scan statistics on the one you want to track.
- At the top of this page, you can view the number of scans and the details about your QR Code and Bitly link.
- Select Time period and input the preferred dates if you’d like more time-specific tracking of your scan metrics. For each section below, select Export in the right-hand corner to download that specific scan data.
- Scroll down to view the scans over time, based on the time period you selected.
- Continue scrolling down to view the scans by location. You have the option to view by country or city. City data will only populate after a minimum threshold of scans has been reached.
- At the bottom, you can view scans by browser and scans by operating system.
- Once you’ve downloaded the specific data you’re interested in, save it to your device. You will always have the option to continue viewing the metrics to see how your square-patterned Code performs over time.
Why choose Bitly for your QR Code marketing
One of the biggest benefits of having an account with Bitly is the ability to create and manage links, QR Codes, and your Bitly Link-in-bio, all from the Bitly Connections Platform. The question is, what is the right plan to choose for your business? We’ve highlighted some of the most important factors so you can confidently make the best decision and make the most out of Bitly.
Visit our pricing page for more details.
If you’re not ready to take the leap and sign up for a paid subscription, you have the option of starting on a free Bitly account, granting 2 Bitly-branded QR Codes per month. This includes a UTM builder, a Bitly-branded Link-in-bio, and 10 short links per month. You’ll have access to the standard black-and-white pixelated square and you can download it in JPEG or PNG format.
All Bitly QR Codes can be scanned an unlimited amount of times, even in the Free plan.
This plan provides you with 5 customizable Bitly QR Codes per month and is still budget-friendly. With more advanced customization features, you can change black and white squares into ones that match your brand colors and create links that represent your brand. Plus, you’ll get a host of other features, like 100 short links per month and the ability to redirect your links and QR Codes without creating a new one. As a part of this plan, you’ll also have access to 30 days of click and scan data, plus customer support when you need assistance.
Note: The Core plan is only available as an annual subscription.
Boost your QR Code game with Bitly!
Get started with custom QR Codes and revolutionize your business!
The Growth plan comes with 10 customizable Bitly QR Codes per month, as well as 500 short links, 120 days of click and scan data, and the ability to download your Code in SVG format. You also get more advanced QR Code analytics, including OS and browser data from your scans.
Upgrading to the Premium plan is for anyone who values having total control over their links and Codes. This plan comes with 200 QR Codes per month and gives the full picture of your scan and link metrics, including location and device data, making it easy to track, manage, and analyze your data in a more sophisticated way. To add to that, you get to create 3,000 links per month, 1 year of click and and scan data, and custom campaign-level tracking.
This is the plan with not only the most amount of advanced features and QR Codes, but also the most tailored experience. Customers who choose this plan have the advantage of account manager support, group permissions, and much more. Having access to all of the Bitly features will help you make the biggest impact on your target audience, one link or scan at a time. Enterprise customers can get 10,000+ links and QR Codes, as well as 2 years of click and scan data.
Bitly QR Code FAQs
With so many different QR Codes available, you may wonder how the Bitly QR Code compares. Here are some of our frequently asked questions:
Can you make a free QR Code in Bitly?
Yes, you can create a free Bitly-branded QR Code. If you’d like to remove the Bitly logo, then you will need to upgrade to one of our paid plans.
Do Bitly QR Codes expire?
No, Bitly QR Codes never expire. Visit our Help Center for more information.
Are Bitly QR Codes Static or Dynamic?
All Bitly QR Codes are Dynamic. With Bitly, every QR Code you create contains a link. Unlike Static QR Codes, you can change the destination URL of your Bitly Dynamic QR Code and track scan metrics, if you are on a paid plan. For a more in-depth discussion, refer to our Static vs. Dynamic QR Code article.
How much do Bitly QR Codes cost?
Bitly QR Codes are free. To unlock scan analytics, Dynamic QR Code features, customization, and more Codes per month, you need to upgrade your plan. Subscriptions start at $8 per month. For more information, visit our pricing page.
Why is my Bitly QR Code not working?
It could be that you deleted the link associated with your QR Code or the QR Code itself is damaged and cannot be scanned by your device.
How many Bitly QR Codes can I make with a free account?
You can create up to 2 Bitly QR Codes free of charge per month.
Can I create a Bitly QR Code via the API?
Yes, but only once you’ve created the link associated with your QR Code. For information on the Bitly API, read our guide.
In Bitly, go to Create new and select QR Code to generate your Code. Enter your destination URL and relevant content. Select Customize to design your QR Code. Depending on your plan, you may have the option to change the color of the Code.Can I make a QR code in Bitly? ›
In Bitly, go to Create new and select QR Code to generate your Code. Enter your destination URL and relevant content. Select Customize to design your QR Code. Depending on your plan, you may have the option to change the color of the Code.Which QR code generator is owned by Bitly? ›
Bit.ly is best known as the web's URL shortener, but in December 2021 it made its first-ever acquisition of the German QR code generation company Egoditor.How long does a Bitly QR code last? ›
Like Bitly links, your Bitly QR Codes never expire. A QR Code stops working if you delete it or the associated short link. If you redirect the short link associated with a QR Code, the QR Code also points to the new destination URL, rather than the previous destination.How do you make a QR code from a URL link? ›
- Download the Google Chrome app from the Google Play Store.
- Navigate to the URL you want to share.
- Click the three vertical dots (⋮) on the top toolbar.
- Tap Share.
- On the pop-up, select QR Code.
- Either click Download at the bottom or hold your phone up for someone to scan the code.
The Legacy Free plan is no longer available but, as a courtesy to our long-time Bitly users, will be active for a transition period in 2023 to allow you time to select a new plan.Does Google have a free QR code generator? ›
With so many QR code generators on the online market today, Google Chrome has built a QR code generator into its web browser to compete with other web browsers. With the QR technology feature on its web browser, Google's QR code creator has become popular.Can Google form generate QR code? ›
Yes, you can. Using a QR Code generator for Google Forms, you can create QR Codes that link to your online form.How do I create a fillable QR code for a PDF? ›
- Scan or upload a PDF for a QR code. First, you will need a PDF file to share. ...
- Copy the PDF URL and use a PDF QR code generator. You're now ready to copy the PDF's URL and turn it into a QR code. ...
- Share the QR code for a PDF file or files. Once you have your QR code, you can share it.
- Professional. Perfect for industry leaders. US$ 46.99. /month Billed annually. Get started. 250. Dynamic QR Codes. ...
- Most popular. Advanced. Great for teams. US$ 15.99. /month Billed annually. Get started. Dynamic QR Codes. ...
- Starter. Best for individuals. US$ 9.99. /month Billed annually. Get started. Dynamic QR Codes.
Using your dedicated Bitly account, you can track the total number of clicks, where they came from, and when they visited. Keep in mind that analytics features are available to Bitly's paid subscribers. Get started today to discover the benefits of using our free URL shortener.What are the disadvantages of Bitly? ›
No ability to organize link folders. Can't edit links once created. Some social media platforms don't accept Bitly Links.What are the disadvantages of Bitly link? ›
- "Can't delete shortened links but only hide them: this is simply the worst thing of Bitly, cause you can't use an old short link for a new one."
- "As of this year, bitly started putting limits on how many custom links you could make. ...
- "I cannot use a link twice on Bitly.
Unlike on some QR code generator sites that only offer a free trial, QR codes generated in Adobe Express don't expire. The app is free and easy to use, so you can make any number of QR codes for your online services, websites, or products and add them to posters, forms, and flyers.Are Bitly QR codes dynamic or static? ›
Bitly added QR Codes to its classic, popular platform. In the Bitly Connections Platform, you can create, customize, track, and edit your Dynamic QR Codes within a single Dashboard.Is a QR Code just a URL? ›
The data stored in a QR code can include website URLs, phone numbers, or up to 4,000 characters of text. QR codes can also be used to: Link directly to download an app on the Apple App Store or Google Play. Authenticate online accounts and verify login details.